Termite Pests in Florida Residences
Termites are destructive pests that are prone to major infestations. These wood-loving bugs can literally eat you out of house and home. If you notice a problem, your best bet is to contact a professional exterminator for termite treatments Fort Myers FL.
Types of Termites in Florida
There are four types of termites that live in Florida. These are:
- Eastern Subterranean Termites. This is the termite you’ll most commonly find. They love your wood and swarm in the spring.
- Powderpost Drywood Termites.This species is exclusive to Florida. They will heartily dine on the dry wood in your home. They leave droppings that look like fine pellets.
- Formosan Subterranean Termites. Another invasive species, this pest came on the scene in Florida in the 1980s. They can form particularly large colonies.
- Florida Dampwood Termites.This pest actually prefers to live in your home. They enter through windows, cracks, and even porch screens.
How to Rid Your Home of Termites
Florid’s warm and humid environment is highly conducive for termites. Your first line of defense is to visually inspect your home on a regular basis. You will need a good flashlight and may need to get on your hands and knees. Common signs of a residential termite problem include:
- Pencil-sized mud tubes and tunnels
- Swarming of ant-like insects
- Piles of shed wings in corners or edges
- Tiny holes in wood
- Soft or hollow wood
- Buckling paint on wood surfaces
If you notice anything suspicious don’t just leave it alone. Call in a professional for a more rigorous evaluation. A variety of treatments are commercially available depending on the type and extent of your infestation. A licensed professional exterminator can solve your termite problem quickly and efficiently. Your home will be yours again instead of being the continuous dinner party for an unwanted termite colony.
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.